Thursday, August 20, 2026

a trip down memory lane: the most iconic movies that shaped my childhood and adolescence... °❀.ೃ࿔

    


     Because I'm entering my senior year of high school, I've been getting so emotional about my childhood recently. This summer, I've never resonated so much with the phrase "nostalgia is going to be the death of me". I feel a funny mixture of anxiety, excitement, hope, fear, and basically everything in between. To try and cope with the fact that I'm growing up and entering the scariest chapter of my life - adulthood - I've been rewatching my favorite childhood movies. So today - before I write another educational post - I want to share some of my treasured works of media with you all. 𑣲⋆

1. The Cheetah Girls 2

THIS MASTERPIECE!!! This has and will always be MY comfort movie. First things first: the songs. While the whole trilogy is absolutely stacked with hits, the soundtrack for this specific movie just hits different... like, only one CG movie has "It's Over," which I personally believe is one of the BEST ballads Disney has ever created. "Step Up" has to be one of the best hype songs ever on my cat bro like WHO WAS IN THE STUDIOO????? And the choreography like oh Kenny Ortega your mind. Also, "The Party's Just Begun" was such an amazing opener and a great way for us to see how the Cheetahs are doing ever since we last saw them. UGH I love the songs for this movie <3

    Second, the plot. This movie had younger me wanting to break the TV screen and handle the other Cheetahs myself. While I do think that it's totally understandable that the girls wanted to enjoy Barcelona and not solely focus on the competition, I was 100% on Galleria's side - your parents spent a crazy amount of money for a chance at y'all winning the competition and instead you get sidetracked with fashion and random songwriting, so...yea, Galleria's frustration was understandable. One small thing that really bothered me, though, was that Galleria used her dad's fly points, and so much money was spent on the trip and train ticket just for her to not even leave </3 Perks of being rich, I guess. I love the pacing of the story and the subplot of Marisol's mother being an obsessive manager who wanted to sabotage the Cheetahs, and Marisol - despite being a sort of antagonist - was so loveable and I couldn't help but feel bad for her. Seeing her perform with the Cheetahs and defy her mother healed something in little me!

  Last but not least: the fashion. Honestly, the fashion throughout all three movies is so gorgeous and creative, but this movie is such a step up in terms of maturity for the girls.
"The Cheetah Girls" - 2003

While the outfits in the first movie weren't exactly childish, you could sense that the Cheetahs were young teens still figuring out their style. In this one, their outfits feel much more refined and cohesive, while retaining the color and boldness of the first movie.

"The Cheetah Girls 2" - 2006

    Through their wardrobe, you can really get a sense that these girls are no longer tweens but blooming into young adulthood; everything feels established - their sound, their identity, and their brand! They were also entering their senior year of high school, which makes this movie even MORE special to me right now. Overall, this movie and the Cheetah Girls trilogy mean the absolute world to me. Seeing a group of POC girls (plus Dorinda) singing, dancing all around NYC - where I grew up - meant so much to little me because I never really saw girls like me on TV. I <3333 the Cheetah Girls.

2. Bratz (2007)

Every day I'm so grateful my older cousin introduced me to this movie when I was like seven because WOW. I don't have much to say about this movie because it's been a hot minute since I've watched it in its entirety, but I absolutely remember loving the aesthetics surrounding this movie. The entire film was so saturated and COLORFUL and overall, super lively. I remember feeling super irritated that girls gave in to the stereotypes and cliques set up by Miserable Meridith, but I'm glad that conflict was resolved quickly. Even though Meridith got on my nerves (because she was like a Senior or a Junior doing the MOSTTTT), she's honestly so iconic and such a fun character. Her whole birthday party lives rent-free throughout my mind. 

Another thing that lives rent-free? The girls' glammed-up clown outfits. THESE LOOKS WERE TO DIEEE FOR!!! The whole movie, the core four had the best wardrobe ever, but this scene really showed how these four girls came together and used their skills - how well they work as a team and why their friendship is so important. 

Also, it was really fun watching it as a little girl. The talent show has to be one of the best moments in film #ever? It may be debatable but for me it's at least top 30. It always brought tears to my eyes and, again, the outfits were so cute. I love this movie so much, so imagine my surprise when I found out critics hated this movie? While I love to critique things myself, I believe certain things should be consumed lightly, with no care for decent writing or strong plot (not saying that the Bratz movie lacks this - well, at least in my eyes - but you know).

Anyways, I LOVEEEE THIS MOVIE. EVERYBODY WATCH IT. IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE.




3.  "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse"

Honestly, I'm not sure my rather mediocre words could ever do justice to such an amazing, electric, life-changing movie. This movie quite literally changed the animation landscape - goodbye to the generic Disney 3D look, hello style and flair! Also, hello, an Afro-Latino Spider-Man meant the absolute world to nine-year-old me, who hated the lack of Caribbean representation (#puertoricansandominicansunite!!) While I'd love to talk about the amazing Spider-people this movie introduced, I think a lot of people forget that the Spider-Verse trilogy is ultimately about one Spider-Man only: Miles Morales. While I do think Across the Spider-Verse is my favorite, I think because the stakes are kind of low in the first movie, we never really lose track of who we're supposed to be following; something a lot of fans (including myself) struggled with in ATSV. One quick thing I will mention is I absolutely love Gwiles; give me more. They are the cutest in the world, and I am invited to the wedding. જ⁀➴ ♡

    The "Leap of Faith" scene has to go down in history as one of the best moments in animation history ever - literally everything about that scene altered my brain chemistry; the city lights, the glass breaking, the SCORE????????? Like you just had to be there. I will forever thank Sony for making a movie adaptation of Miles' story because it needed to be told, and this movie is undeniably the best film adaptation of a Spider-Man origin story! Sorry, Toby, Andrew, and Peter!!! <3333 


    Anyways, I know this one was a bit of a lengthy one, and I have like 10 other movies I wanted to get to, but I didn't want to bore anybody to death...I've been taking so long writing new "essays" and being active on my blog </3 but I'll try my absolute best to continue updating it!!! 

love you, always.

take care! 。 ₊°༺❤︎༻°₊ 。




No comments:

Post a Comment

a trip down memory lane: the most iconic movies that shaped my childhood and adolescence... °❀.ೃ࿔

             Because I'm entering my senior year of high school, I've been getting so emotional about my childhood recently. This su...